Name: Christopher Graham Bone (Chris)
Postal address: PO Box 1803, Whangarei, 0140, New Zealand
Phone: +649 4344 066 or 027 621 2214
Marital status: Married to Julia, 3 children; Sophie, Oliver and Jessamin.
Education: 7 UK "O" levels, 3 UK "A" levels (Pure and Applied Mathematics and Physics).
Diploma in computer programming. Various marine qualifications shown below.
Nationality: UK born, NZ citizen with UK and NZ passports, USA B1,B2 visa
Previous positions (latest is last, some positions concurrent):
- 2 years computer as a operator for Digital Technologies Ltd (oil exploration).
- 1 year computer network administrator for the London School of Economics.
- 12 years as professional Yacht Skipper in the Mediterranean, Caribbean and Pacific including charter skipper, flotilla skipper, delivery skipper and 2 years as a skipper/campaigner for Greenpeace.
- 10 years as a self employed Organic farmer (concurrent with the following).
- 6 years as owner/director of the national livestock business Stocktech Ltd.
- 5 years as co-ordinator Whangarei Marine Promotions www.whangareimarine.co.nz marketing and business development.
- 4 years as owner/manager of Paradise Eco-Ventures www.paradisecoast.co.nz mainly yacht charter and yacht delivery skippering.
- Freelance charter and delivery skipper www.pacificyachtdeliveries.co.nz
- Founder/manager of the non-profit organisation www.oceanswatch.org
- Very professional.
- Innovative thinker.
- Well presented.
- Enthusiastic hard worker.
- Lots of business skills.
- Very thorough and safety conscious.
- Understands the vital roll of customer relations.
- Good interpersonal skills.
- Very competent on a computer.
- Very proficient in Microsoft Excel and proficient in Microsoft Word, Front Page & Publisher.
- Wide range of business, marketing and administrative skills necessary to develop and run a small company.
- Good at academic and market research.
- Leadership skills developed through many years as a yacht skipper.
- Customer relations, through many years work in tourism.
- Yacht and flotilla management and maintenance.
- Very competent, safety conscious yacht skipper.
- Able marine mechanic.
Marine industry qualifications:
- NZ Inshore Launchmaster certificate # N02 0280
- Restricted Radar Observer issued 04/11/2001
- UK Royal Yachting Association Offshore Yachtmaster Theory issued 11/03/1981
- UK Royal Yachting Association Ocean Yachtmaster Theory issued 15/03/1982
- UK Restricted Certificate in Radiotelephony # GR/4216
- UK Helmsman’s (overseas) Certificate of Competence #32753.83UK Restricted Certificate of Competence in Radiotelephony VHF # Y11032
- NZ Coastguard Marine Medic level 2 #7574
- NZ Workplace First Aid training Certificate of Completion 14/10/2001
- NZ Seafarers Medical Category A, for unrestricted Sea Service 10/05/2005
- STCW 95 Fire Fighting #05/0229 20/05/2005
- STCW 95 Personal safety and social responsibility 20/05/2005
- Yachting New Zealand Safety Inspector
The following courses towards the New Zealand Offshore Master and UK MCA Chief Mate/Yachtmaster 500t, completed from 4/2005 to 02/2007
- Coastal Navigation
- Fire fighting
- Coastal Passage Planning and tides
- General Knowledge (seamanship)
- Electronic Navigation
- Ocean Navigation
- Ocean Seamanship
- Business and Law
- Command and seamanship
- Operations, offshore commercial
- Maritime practice
- Ship Security Officer
- MCA Engineer Class 5
- General Radio Operator’s Certificate (incl GMDSS)
- STCW 95 First Aid at Sea
- I am competent at most types of yacht maintenance
- I have sailed > 70,000 miles, 95% as skipper, on yachts to about 35 meters.
Green politics, environmental issues, reading, music, self development, Polynesian voyaging/history, my non-profit organisation Oceanswatch.
I get a great deal of enjoyment from my work as a skipper and from developing our land at Mamaki Eco-village. I often travel with and support my son who is a New Zealand representative surfer. I read widely and am active in the local community. Interested in evolutionary psychology. I sail competitively when time allows (main, spinnaker trim and tactics on an Elliott 5.9. 3 times national champions).
Personal development courses attended.
- Landmark Forum.
- Landmark Advanced Forum.
- Landmark Forum in Action seminar series.
- Landmark Communication course.
- Landmark Advanced Communication course.
- Landmark Relationships seminar series.
Business courses attended.
- Internet Marketing.
- Intellectual Property issues.
- Effective Communication
- Running Effective Meetings.
- Effective Advertising.
- Business Excellence.
- Strategic Marketing.
- Market Research.
- Planning Web Sites.
- Credit Management.
- Managing People and Conflict.
- Improving Employee Productivity.
- Time Management.
- Effective Brochure Writing.
- Marketing a Service Business.
- Marketing, Customer relations.
- Quoting, Estimating and Time Management for the Marine Industry (I initiated this course for the Whangarei Marine Industry)